Nailing an Interview:
So, you got through to the interview stage for your dream job – congratulations!
Now how do you nail the interview – well start by knowing your people. What do I mean by that? I mean prepare, prepare, prepare – Go and research the company and the people interviewing you. This will help you sit in a room and be familiar with people you are talking to.
Next research the role – don’t just read the PD, read the PD and apply it to your experience and come up with some examples of what you have achieved that matches what they are looking for in their ideal candidate.
Finally, what questions can you ask them?
In my opinion there are 10 questions that can be used to good effect in an interview. I suggest you pick 3 questions and use them as appropriate.
10 best questions to ask at a job interview
- What is the team culture like?
- What does a typical day in the job look like? OR What do the first 3 months look like?
- How did this job come to be advertised?
- What is it that you like about working here?
- What would be the more difficult or dry parts of the job?
- What does success look like to this organisation?
- What sort of learning and growth opportunities are there at this organisation?
- What is the growth trajectory for the organisation in the next 5 years?
- I want to walk out of this room knowing I have done everything I can to convince you I want this job. Is there anything you might be concerned about or that I have missed that I can address right now?
- Are there any activities that you undertake as a team?
Good luck with your interview and don’t forget most of all to be positive!